Valley Games' Municipium

Here, we have a cover for the new midweight Knizia game, Municipium, from Valley Games. While I enjoy the abstract nature of the previous cover version, I am very, very fond of this one as well. The previous design had roots seen in many contemporary arenas including some covers of New Yorker and a number of high style products I have seen. Here we have a softer, gentler touch with bright, friendly colors. Still retaining an abstract quality, this cover lends itself to the highly abstracted game of provincial Roman family politics.

Most of my covers in past have been quite serious to go with the heavier nature of the games, so it is nice to have something lighter here for this somewhat lighter game. In this way, I see a connection to the Big City cover, which also is abstract and fun.

– Mike